City of Munising, one of the steamers belonging to Michigan State's Auto Ferry service, linen postcard
The state of Michigan initiated an auto ferry service in 1923 to connected the upper and lower peninsulas of the state between Mackinaw City and St Ignace. The service ran 34 years until 1957 when as part of the state law establishing the building and opening of the Mackinac bridge crossing the Mackinac Straits, the ferry service was discontinued to remove competition between the ferries and the bridge.
Some 12 million vehicles and more than 30 million passengers were ferried across the Straits of Mackinac during the Michigan State Auto Ferry years of service.
More details about the ferry service may be found here.
Full details on the ferry postcards can be found by clicking on the image above and below.
The card below shows the Auto Ferry docks at St Ignace Michigan in the 1940s.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
The Postcard Depot - the home of vintage postcards online.