Gov. Stanford is a 4-4-0 steam locomotive originally built in 1862 by Norris Locomotive Works. It entered service on November 9, 1863 and was used in the construction of the First Transcontinental Railroad in North American by the Central Pacific Railroad bearing road number 1. It was Central Pacific's first locomotive and it is named in honor of the road's first president and ex-California governor, Leland Stanford.
After its railroad service was completed, the locomotive was disassembled & stored, eventually being restored and housed in the California Railroad Museum in Sacramento where it can be viewed today. It is the centerpiece of the museum's exhibits.
The Postcard Depot - the home of vintage postcards online.